Tuesday 10 April 2012

My Hair Story


Curl Nation was born after I spent much of 2011 searching for natural products to use on my newly-discovered curly hair. I spent most of my childhood and much of adulthood with short hair, because as soon as it grew longer than ear-length it became uncontrollably wavy, frizzy and I looked like a poodle. 

In 2007 I discovered hair straighteners, which solved some of my problems. Suddenly I had smooth, silky hair that stayed straight! I spent the next 4 years heating my hair to a burning 220 degrees EVERY DAY in my quest for straightness. I'd had a long-standing desire to grow my hair long, and finally there seemed a way to achieve it. My hair grew, and the time I spent each day washing and straightening it also grew.

After several years of using this intense heat I started to notice that my hair wasn't growing much. It was also breaking. I noticed short, ragged strands at the front where I used the heat the most. I was washing it every day as it was also becoming very greasy, and the straightening also continued every day. My hair wasn't well and I was fed up with all the time I spent trying to make it look ok.

One day I decided to leave it to dry naturally and noticed how curly the ends were. I started to investigate the underground world of curly hair and discovered huge numbers of people who were looking for a natural alternative. I learned how harsh shampoos and styling products were particularly bad for delicate curls. I started to hunt down gentle cleansers that would wash my hair without subjecting it to strong chemicals, sadly present in 95% of High Street products.  I found that my hair wasn't greasy as I'd always thought, it was actually dry and craving moisture. I learned which kind of conditioners and moisturisers were good for my curls.

I ditched the straighteners and my hair thanks me for it every day. At first there was frizz as my hair reached out for moisture. After a week or so there were curls, then more curls. I became a product junkie, always on the look for new, natural products to try.

One of the biggest problems was the lack of sulphate-and silicone-free products on the UK high street. Crucial for curly hair, however they aren't to be found on general sale in the UK. The internet became my saviour but with many companies selling a wide range of natural products it became difficult to find what I was looking for . 

I decided to create a new company to bring together the smaller suppliers of natural hair products in one place and promote them to the ever-growing world of curly customers. There are more and more people in the UK from a wide range of multi-cultural backgrounds, many with wavy, curly, kinky and afro hair. Curls have been given a bad name in the past, as harsh shampoos have stripped them of moisture and caused massive, uncontrollable frizz. But with just a little care and attention, and the right products, these curls can become glorious, shiny and healthy.

I look forward to introducing you to exciting, new, natural hair products that will help you on your journey.

Join the Curl Revolution!

Wendy, Curl Nation

No comments:

Post a Comment